Spring Roasted Leg of Lamb Recipe
- 1 (3Kg) bone-in leg of lamb
- 2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced lengthwise
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 lemons
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Combine olive oil and crushed garlic. Rub the mixture on the leg of lamb.
2. With a paring knife, make about 2 dozen small, 2cm perforations in the lamb. Stuff the slivered garlic and cut rosemary sprigs into the perforations.
3. Zest and juice the lemons, spreading the zest and juice evenly over the lamb. Season lamb with salt and pepper.
4. If cooking on a Traeger barbecue: When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 260°C and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. Place the leg of lamb on the grill and cook for 30 minutes. Reduce grill temperature to 175°C and cook until the internal temperature reaches 55°C for medium-rare – this should take about 60 to 90 minutes.
5. If cooking in an oven, preheat your oven to 180°C / 355°F. Place the lamb in a roasting tin and cook for around 2h 30 mins for medium-done.
6. Let the lamb rest for at least 15 minutes before carving. Enjoy!
Add a dollop of homemade yogurt and mint dressing, along with some shredded baby gem leaves, to complete the dish.
Yogurt and Mint Dressing
Whisk together 1 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves (chopped), 1 small clove of garlic (minced), 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and season.
Then, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour to blend the flavours.