A Spring Tart Recipe
Asparagus Tart with Poached Egg and Chive HollandaiseMarch Recipe of the Month
Makes 6 portions
Time: c. 40 minutes (preparation + cooking) A little bit of care and effort is needed for this recipe, but you will be richly rewarded with a delicious, fresh spring tart where the lightness of asparagus is complemented by the richness of pastry and running, golden egg.
For the pastry
- ½ sheet ‘ready rolled’ all butter puff pastry
- 1 egg
For the filling and easy Hollandaise sauce
- 600g asparagus
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 125g butter
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Salt & black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped chives
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan.
2. Cut the half sheet of pastry into six equal portions and place apart, on a baking sheet.
3. Beat the egg with a pinch of salt and then brush it evenly over the pastry.
4. Lightly mark a crisscross pattern over the pastry.
5. Bake, in the oven until risen and golden (about 20 minutes). Remove and put to one side to cool. Once cooled, cut each portion of pastry in half, horizontally.
6. Whilst the pastry is cooking, make the Hollandaise sauce.
7. Place the egg yolks in a food processor. Place the lemon juice and vinegar in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Start the food processor and pour in the hot vinegar mix.
8. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan. As the processor is running, slowly pour in the liquid butter to form a thick sauce. Place in a warm bowl, add the chopped chives, season, cover and keep warm to one side.
9. Cook the asparagus in salted boiling water for approx 2-3 minutes or until just tender – do not overcook.
10. Lightly poach the eggs and drain them well.
11. Place a pastry base on each warm plate.
12. Top neatly with an equal amount of asparagus and then a poached egg.
13. Dollop on some Hollandaise and finish with the puff pastry lid to serve.
>> Download Spring Tart Recipe