Valentine Biscuits Recipe
Valentine Biscuit Recipe
Makes: 6 biscuits using a 70mm cutter
Time: c. 1 hour (preparation + baking)
The best gifts are ones that thought and care have gone in to. Treat someone you care about this Valentine's Day (or, any day!) with a box of sweet, home-made, heart-shaped, jam-filled biscuits.
For the biscuits
- 150g unsalted butter – cut into small cubes and softened
- 75g caster sugar
- 225g plain flour
For the filling
- 75g unsalted butter - softened
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Good quality strawberry or raspberry jam (preferably home-made!)
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C / 140°C fan.
2. Using a mixer or by hand, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the vanilla and gently mix in the flour to form a dough, taking care to not over mix, or the biscuits will not be crumbly.
4. Roll out to a thickness of around 5mm and cut out 12 circles. Place on a baking tin lined with baking parchment, then using a small heart-shaped cutter, cut out the centre from 6 of the biscuits, that will be used as the tops.
5. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set.
6. When ready to cook. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. The biscuits should be golden. Place on a wire rack to cool and harden.
7. Meanwhile, make your filling. Beat the butter and vanilla together and gradually add the icing sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
8. Using a piping bag, pipe a ring of buttercream around the 6 biscuit bases. Top with the 6 ‘heart’ biscuits and gently press down. Place a dollop of jam into the cutout heart and gently spread to the edges, to level.
9. Dust with icing sugar and leave for 30 minutes to set before serving.
These make a tasty and thoughtful present for a loved one. For a dual gift, pop in a special tin that they can keep afterwards.
>> Download Valentine Biscuits Recipe