Salmon with Fennel & Lemon Recipe
Salmon with Fennel & Lemon
August Recipe of the Month
Time: 30 minutes
This simple centrepiece of a dish is brilliant cooked on a barbecue or firepit. The flavours of the fresh herbs and zingy lemon make it a perfect summertime supper recipe. Great for sharing with friends.
• 1 ½ kg side of salmon, skinned
• ½ bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
• 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
• Small bunch of dill
• 2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Lay a piece of baking parchment on top of a piece of foil, large enough to fully fold over the salmon.
2. Lay the slices of fennel and onions onto the parchment, to roughly the same width and length as the salmon.
3. Place the salmon on top and lay the lemon slices across it; cover these with the dill. Squeeze the juice from the second lemon all over and season everything well.
4. Bring the sides of the foil up and seal by crushing together to make a parcel, creating a gap between the fish and foil.
5. Place on the hot plate of the fire pit and cook for 15 – 20 minutes. The salmon should be just done, firm to touch but not overcooked. Leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Oranges can be used in place of lemon, and tarragon is good to use in place of dill. Add a splash of white wine if liked!
This recipe can also be cooked in the oven. Just add an extra 5 minutes cooking time.
Recommended Wine Pairing
Ca' Bolani Prosecco Frizzante Edizione Limitata NV Italy
Ca’ Bolani is an excellent, gold medal-winning Prosecco. Gentle, aromatic and easy to drink with a lively, fresh and balanced citrus taste. Perfect for sipping on a warm summer's day.
Available at Hillier Garden Centres from Laithwaite’s Wine
>> Download Salmon with Lemon & Fennel Recipe Card
Complete The Meal
We have created two fresh, summery salad dishes and a seasonal twist on a classic Tiramisu to accompany the salmon dish. Download the recipe cards below.
>> Download Pea Shoot Salad recipe card
>> Download Potato Salad recipe card
>> Download Strawberry Orange Tiramisu recipe card