Rosemary and Lemon Loaf Cake Recipe
Rosemary and Lemon Loaf Cake
Time: c. 50 minutes (+ 30 minutes cooling time & an additional 30 minutes for the icing to soak in)
For a deliciously light spring cake, the combination of lemon and rosemary is perfect. The citrus tang of the lemon is complemented by the almost savoury aroma of the rosemary.
- 175g butter - softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- Rind of 2 lemons
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
For the icing
- 100g granulated sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
1. Set the oven to 170C / 150C fan
2. Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl and mix to cream using a blender on a high speed for 2-3 minutes. Stop halfway through to scrape down the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated well. The mixture should be pale and creamy.
3. Pour into a prepared cake tin and level out.
4. Bake until firm to the touch and golden brown. This should take around 35-45 minutes. A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for around 30 minutes.
6. Prick the cake all over. Mix the lemon juice and granulated sugar together and spoon all over the cake. Leave to soak in for 30 minutes.
7. Remove from the cake tin. When ready to serve, place on a serving plate and decorate with slices of lemon and a sprig of rosemary if you wish.
This cake will store for up to five days - wrap in greaseproof paper and foil.
Try making with lime instead of lemon, or a mixture of both. Increase the amount of rosemary if you prefer a stronger flavour
>> Download Rosemary & Lemon Loaf Cake Recipe