Quinoa & Fennel Salad Recipe
Quinoa & Fennel Salad
June Recipe of the Month
Serves 6 as a side dish
Time: c. 25 mins
The texture of quinoa, with its subtle bite, combines with the sweet and slightly aniseed flavour of fennel to create a delicious summer salad.
- 200g quinoa
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 fennel bulb – finely sliced
- 50g golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch mint – leaves finely chopped
- ½ head of radicchio – washed and torn
1. Rinse the quinoa in a sieve under running cold water, to remove excess starch.
2. Bring the vegetable stock to the boil then simmer and cook the quinoa until tender – about 10 – 12 mins. Drain, put into a bowl and allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, make your vinaigrette, whisk together the lemon juice, oil and seasoning.
4. Toss in the fennel, raisins and pomegranate seeds to coat in the vinaigrette.
5. When the quinoa is cold, add to the raisin and fennel mix and gently fold in the remaining ingredients.
6. Pile neatly onto a suitable platter to serve.
Recommended Wine Pairing
Bon Courage The Gooseberry Bush Colombard / Sauvignon Blanc 2018 South Africa
This South African dry white continues to be a Laithwaite’s Wine favourite. The grassy fresh, citrusy aroma leaps out of the glass, with vibrant pizzazz offered on the taste with lime zest plus hints of gooseberries and guava. Combines brilliantly with the soft anise of the salad.
Available at Hillier Garden Centres from Laithwaite’s Wine