Potato and Watercress Soup Recipe
Potato and Watercress Soup
February Recipe of the Month
Time: c. 1 hour (preparation + cooking)
When the chilly days of February are upon us, and we're longing for spring to arrive soon, a lovely bowl of soup is just what you need. This potato and watercress soup is a favourite of our very own Hillier Development Chef, give it a go at home and tell us what you think!
- 50g unsalted butter
- 150g diced onions
- 100g celery, chopped
- 600g potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1lt vegetable stock
- 100ml double cream
- 75g watercress
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onion and celery. Gently cook, stirring the mixture occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent – about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes, without colouring the vegetables.
- Add the hot stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then immediately reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the potatoes are fully cooked, which should take 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream. Puree with a stick blender until the soup is creamy and smooth.
- Add the watercress and continue to puree until the watercress is well blended into the soup.
- Check the seasoning and serve.
- Garnish with a little cream and watercress leaves. Delicious served with warm cheese scones.
Ingredients from your own garden
Now's the time to grow your own potatoes, so you could plant now and save the recipe for later!