Orange Infused Apple & Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
Orange Infused Apple & Rhubarb Crumble
April Recipe of the Month
Time: c. 1 hour 15 mins (preparation + baking) Apple and rhubarb crumble is a delicious, quintessentially British dessert where the tartness of the apple is perfectly complemented by the sweet crumble. Our orange-infused version, created by our Hillier Development Chef, has an extra citrusy tang that makes it perfect as a spring dessert.
For the filling
- 500g Bramley apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- 500g rhubarb – washed, topped & tailed and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 oranges – juice and zest
- 150g light brown sugar
For the crumble
- 180g plain flour
- 100g unsalted butter
- 75g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 50g peeled hazelnuts –roughly chopped
1. Set the oven to 180c/160 fan
2. Gently cook the apples with the orange juice in a saucepan, until they begin to soften (about 5 minutes) Remove from the heat.
3. Stir in the rhubarb, sugar and orange zest and place in a baking dish.
4. Make the crumble by rubbing together the flour, butter and sugar to form a fine ‘crumb’ texture. Do not overwork the mixture. Stir in the hazelnuts.
5. Pour the crumble over the fruit mixture to evenly cover. Do not be tempted to flatten it – you want a light, airy crumble topping.
6. Sprinkle over a little extra sugar. Bake in the oven until the crumble is golden and bubbling (about 40 minutes).
7. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving with custard or thick cream.
Replace the orange with 100g stem ginger, finely chopped, and add to the apples when cooking.
>> Download Orange Infused Apple & Rhubarb Crumble Recipe