Mackerel with Potato, Beetroot & Orange Salad Recipe
Mackerel with Potato, Beetroot & Orange SaladJune Recipe of the Month
Time: c.35 minutes
Below you can find the recipe for a delightfully light summer dish, full of flavour and perfect for a family barbecue, created by our very own development chef, Chris Search. A beautifully fresh dish that that's quick and easy so that you can carry on enjoying the sunshine.
- 500g new potatoes
- 2 oranges –segmented (reserve the juice)
- 150g cooked small beetroot – cut into thin wedges
- 4 spring onions –thinly sliced at an angle
- 200g prepared watercress
- 4 fresh mackerel –filleted
- Olive oil for cooking
For the dressing
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons orange juice (see above)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the potatoes in half (or quarters if large). Boil in well-salted water until just done.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by mixing the ingredients together. Season well with salt and ground black pepper.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain well and whilst the potatoes are still warm, stir in ¾ of the dressing and add the spring onions. Put to one side to cool. Do not chill.
- Heat the barbecue. Make 3 slashes into the skin side of the mackerel. Brush with oil, season well and place skin side down onto the hot plate of the barbecue.
- Cook for 3- 4 minutes and then turn over and finish cooking for a minute or two more. The skin should be slightly charred.
- As the mackerel is cooking, divide ¾ of the watercress between 4 plates. Add the potatoes, and pile on the beetroot and orange segments. Top with more watercress and then drizzle on the remaining dressing. Place the fillets of mackerel, skin side up.
- Delicious with the addition of lime juice and slices of chilli in the dressing too.