Mackerel with Potato, Beetroot & Orange Salad Recipe
Mackerel with Potato, Beetroot & Orange Salad
August Recipe of the Month
Time: c.35 minutes
Below you can find the recipe for a delightfully light summer dish, full of flavour and perfect for a family barbecue, created by our very own development chef, Chris Search. A beautifully fresh dish that that's quick and easy so that you can carry on enjoying the sunshine.
- 500g new potatoes
- 2 oranges –segmented (reserve the juice)
- 150g cooked small beetroot – cut into thin wedges
- 4 spring onions –thinly sliced at an angle
- 200g prepared watercress
- 4 fresh mackerel –filleted
- Olive oil for cooking
For the dressing
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons orange juice (see above)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the potatoes in half (or quarters if large). Boil in well-salted water until just done.
2. Meanwhile, make the dressing by mixing the ingredients together. Season well with salt and ground black pepper.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain well and whilst the potatoes are still warm, stir in ¾ of the dressing and add the spring onions. Put to one side to cool. Do not chill.
4. Heat the barbecue. Make 3 slashes into the skin side of the mackerel. Brush with oil, season well and place skin side down onto the hot plate of the barbecue.
5. Cook for 3- 4 minutes and then turn over and finish cooking for a minute or two more. The skin should be slightly charred.
6. As the mackerel is cooking, divide ¾ of the watercress between 4 plates. Add the potatoes, and pile on the beetroot and orange segments. Top with more watercress and then drizzle on the remaining dressing. Place the fillets of mackerel, skin side up.
7. Delicious with the addition of lime juice and slices of chilli in the dressing too.