Time: 15 minutes
This quick-to-make and social starter is a light, refreshing way to kick-off dinner. The combination of juicy watermelon, zingy lime and salty halloumi creates a deliciously surprising flavour experience.
- 1 medium watermelon
- 2 packets of halloumi cheese
- Olive oil
- 2 limes
- A handful of watercress
- Black pepper
1. Slice the watermelon into 6-8 thick wedges. Cut away the skin from each wedge and discard.
2. Slice the wedges into large pieces (they do not have to be uniform in size) and lay onto the serving plate.
3. Finely grate the zest of one lime all over the watermelon. This can be done well in advance and left in the refrigerator.
4. When ready to serve, slice each halloumi widthways into 6 equal slices. Brush each slice with olive oil. Ensure the grill is hot. Grill the halloumi on one side for a couple of minutes until golden brown, then turn the slices and grill the other side until golden brown all over.
5. Lay the halloumi randomly on top of the watermelon. Top with sprigs of watercress, squeeze over the juice from the zested lime and drizzle on some olive oil. Grind some fresh black pepper over and cut the second lime into wedges to decorate.
Goats cheese makes a delicious alternative to halloumi – just crumble on the watermelon.
Herbs such as basil or mint also go well with the dish.
Ingredients from your own garden
If you are fortunate enough to have a lime tree, you may be able to use your own. Watercress, basil and mint may also be available to harvest in September.