Harvest Crumble Recipe
Harvest Crumble - October Recipe of the Month
Time: c.1 hr
When the nights start to close in, and there's more of a chill in the air, there's nothing more satisfying than nestling inside and enjoying a traditional homemade crumble. This Harvest Crumble recipe, created by Hillier's very own development chef, Chris Search, has a delectable array of fruit and berries topped with a warming spiced crumble.
- 500g Bramley apples – peeled, cores removed
- 500g plums – quartered, stones removed
- 200g blackberries
- 75g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125g butter – diced and slightly softened
- 100g Demerara sugar, plus extra to top
- 50g oats
Set the oven to 180c/160 fan
- Roughly cut the apples into 2- 3cm pieces and place in a bowl with the plums. Cover with the caster sugar and put to one side.
- Place the flour, Demerara sugar and butter in a large bowl and using your fingertips, rub the mixture together to form a ‘breadcrumb’ texture.
- Stir in the oats.
- Stir the blackberries into the apple and plum mix and place in an oven proof baking dish.
- When ready to bake, sprinkle the crumble mix over the fruit and level out.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 - 30 minutes. The crumble should be golden brown when ready.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the extra Demerara sugar.
- Any mixture of fruits can be used, try using pears instead of the apples.
- Do not add the crumble topping until ready to bake, to prevent a soggy layer forming.