Harvest Crumble Recipe
Harvest Crumble - October Recipe of the Month
Time: c.1 hr
When the nights start to close in, and there's more of a chill in the air, there's nothing more satisfying than nestling inside and enjoying a traditional homemade crumble. This Harvest Crumble recipe, created by Hillier's very own development chef, Chris Search, has a delectable array of fruit and berries topped with a warming spiced crumble.
- 500g Bramley apples – peeled, cores removed
- 500g plums – quartered, stones removed
- 200g blackberries
- 75g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125g butter – diced and slightly softened
- 100g Demerara sugar, plus extra to top
- 50g oats
1. Set the oven to 180c/160 fan
2. Roughly cut the apples into 2- 3cm pieces and place in a bowl with the plums. Cover with the caster sugar and put to one side.
3. Place the flour, Demerara sugar and butter in a large bowl and using your fingertips, rub the mixture together to form a ‘breadcrumb’ texture.
4. Stir in the oats.
5. Stir the blackberries into the apple and plum mix and place in an ovenproof baking dish.
6. When ready to bake, sprinkle the crumble mix over the fruit and level out.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 - 30 minutes. The crumble should be golden brown when ready.
8. Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the extra Demerara sugar.
- Any mixture of fruits can be used, try using pears instead of the apples.
- Do not add the crumble topping until ready to bake, to prevent a soggy layer forming.