A delicious sausage rolls recipe packed full of festive flavours, including cranberries and chestnuts. Perfect for Christmas.
Makes: 12 medium or 24 cocktail-size sausage rolls
Time: 50 minutes
- 1kg good quality pork sausagemeat
- 50g onion (finely chopped)
- 50g dried cranberries
- 100g Stilton (in small dice)
- 100g chopped cooked chestnuts
- 1 dessertspoon fresh sage (roughly chopped)
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 320g pack butter puff pastry
- 1 egg (beaten)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Set the oven to 180c/160fan/Gas 4.
2. Keep the puff pastry and beaten egg to one side. Mix all the other ingredients together well (using your hands works best!)
3. Lay out the puff pastry and cut in half length ways.
4. Divide the sausage meat mixture in half. With each half, make a large sausage the length of the laid out pastry.
5. Lay the sausage a third of the way up from the nearest edge of the pastry. Brush the furthest edge with the beaten egg.
6. Lifting the edge of the pastry nearest to you, roll up to cover the sausage filling completely.
7. Repeat the process with the second half of pastry and sausage meat mixture.
8. Brush all over with the beaten egg.
9. Cut each roll into 6 equal pieces. Using scissors, nip the top of each sausage roll 3 times, creating little steam vents. Place on a parchment-lined baking tray.
10. Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is risen and golden brown.
11. Serve warm, or, cook in advance and reheat in a hot oven for 5 minutes before serving.
Choose the best quality sausage meat possible with a high meat content.