Chickpea Sweet Potato & Spinach Curry Recipe
Chickpea Sweet Potato & Spinach Curry
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
A mild, simple, vegetarian curry, perfect for a mid-week supper or dinner with friends.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove - crushed
- 3 small sweet potatoes – peeled and 1-inch diced
- 2 heaped dessertspoons Korma paste
- 2 tins coconut milk
- 2 tins of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 200g baby spinach leaves – washed
- 50g desiccated coconut – toasted for 2 minutes in the oven
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions and garlic for about 15 minutes. The onions should be soft and translucent.
2. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes, then add the Korma paste and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring to coat everything in the spices. Season.
3. Pour in the coconut milk and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. The potatoes should just be cooked, but not mushy.
4. Stir in the chickpeas, mango chutney and spinach and heat through.
5. Sprinkle on the toasted coconut and serve with rice.
Add sautéed sliced mushrooms 10 minutes before the end of cooking. This dish is also good made with Maris Piper potatoes in place of sweet potato.
>> Download Chickpea, Sweet Potato & Spinach Curry Recipe