Our recipe for carrot and lentil soup, from our Hillier Development Chef, is a healthy, warming and satisfying bowl full. Simple to make and full of nutritional goodness.
- 50g butter
- 1 small onion – finely diced
- 1 stick of celery – chopped
- 1 clove garlic – chopped
- 500g carrots – peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 100g red lentils – rinsed under cold water and
- 50ml double cream
- 1.25l vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the butter in a pan on a gentle heat.
2. Add the onions, celery, garlic and carrots, cover with a lid and cook without colouring them, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft. This will take approximately 20 minutes.
3. Once done, stir in the cumin and cook for another 5 minutes to release the flavour of the spice.
5. Add the lentils to the pan, along with the hot vegetable stock. Continue to cook gently for 30 – 40 minutes. The lentils should be tender. Stir regularly to prevent the lentils from sticking to the base of the pan.
6. Once done, remove from the heat, add the cream and season well.
7. Puree with a blender to achieve a smooth texture, adding a little more hot water if the mixture is too thick.
8. Bring back to a simmer to serve. Garnish with finely diced red pepper.
Try replacing the carrot with sweet potato. You will need two medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced