Time: c.1 hr
If you are looking for an alternative festive dessert, our brioche, amaretto & marzipan pudding is a deliciously indulgent and warming as wrapping up on the sofa in a soft blanket. If you prefer an alcohol-free version, it can work just as well without the amaretto.
- 200g ‘all butter’ brioche (1/2 loaf)
- 3 or 4 tablespoons amaretto
- 100g white marzipan
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 500ml double cream
- 1 dessertspoon Demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan
1. Lightly butter a 1litre baking dish.
2. Roughly tear the marzipan into 2cm pieces.
3. Thinly slice the brioche and cut each slice into two triangles. Create a layer of brioche by overlapping the
slices on the base of the baking dish.
4. Sprinkle on half of the amaretto, over the brioche layer and dot over half the marzipan.
5. Repeat neatly with a second layer of brioche, the remaining amaretto and marzipan.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar with the eggs and whisk in the cream.
7. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a jug, then pour half of the mixture over the brioche.
8. Allow to soak and add the remaining mixture until it has all gone. Put to one side for 10 minutes to allow the liquid to soak into the brioche.
9. Once the liquid has soaked in, sprinkle the almonds and Demerara sugar all over the pudding.
10. Cook for 20 – 25 minutes. Do not overcook – the pudding should be loosely set and creamy.
11. To serve, dust with some icing sugar, serve with pouring cream, sit back and enjoy!
1. Sieve the cream mixture before use to ensure a beautifully creamy texture.
2. If you prefer, try brandy in place of amaretto. Or, if you would rather an alcohol-free version, it is just as delicious without!