Apple Chutney Recipe
September Recipe of the Month
Makes 8x 1lb jars
Time: 2 hours
A tasty chutney, packed full of apples and raisins. Delicious as an accompaniment to hot or cold meats.
- 1.6kg cooking apples (weight after being peeled and cored)
- 3 medium onions – peeled and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
- 11/2 pints cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 900g light brown soft sugar
- 300g raisins or sultanas
- 160g hazelnuts, roasted and skins removed (optional ingredient)
1. Place the prepared apples, onions, lemon juice, mustard seeds and vinegar in a large pan.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for one hour.
3. Add the salt, ginger and sugar and simmer until thick - about 45 minutes.
4. Stir in the raisins and hazelnuts (if using nuts)
5. Pour into sterilised jars, cover, wipe clean and label.
6. Store for six to eight weeks in a cool, dark place
Delicious with roast gammon and pork.