Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
October Recipe of the Month
Time: 1 hr 10 minutes
A filling soup, packed with the rich flavours of the season. Perfect for a hearty autumn lunch.
- 1 large onion, peeled & chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
- 500g peeled butternut squash
- 500g peeled sweet potato
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 ½ litres vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted pumpkin seeds to garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft and translucent. Stir regularly and avoid colouring the onions.
- Add the butternut squash and sweet potato and continue to cook gently for 15 minutes so that the squash and potato are soft.
- Tip in the spices and continue to cook for 5 minutes to draw out the flavours.
- Add the hot stock and bring to a simmer. Season and cook for 30 minutes.
- When done, blend until smooth. Serve topped with the pumpkin seeds and drizzled with a little extra olive oil, if desired.
Pumpkin or parsnips can replace the squash, carrots can replace the sweet potato – and a little heat can be added with some chilli…
Ingredients from your own garden
In October, you may be able to harvest onions, squash and use your own sweet potatoes if they’ve been stored in a cool place.